Tuesday, September 21, 2010

UNIT 4 READING NOTES

1) Data Compression. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression

    I found Data deduplication to be interesting.  Based on this information, a computer can instantaneously eliminate dormant data. On my computer, I have found this to be an almost impossibility.  I wonder if there is a way to manually utilize this function.  I know "Add/Remove Programs" is a way.  But, I wonder if there is a more detailed manner to find and eliminate data manually. 

2) Data compression basics (long documents, but covers all basics and beyond):
     http://dvd-hq.info/data_compression_1.php

   It seems like the main idea data compression is to store more data in a centralized location, thus reducing overall space on the hard drive.  In order to do this effectively, it seems as though one would need to understand various coding techniques in order to create this type of space.  Fiscally, I think this would save libraries a lot of money if more information can be stored within less computers, from an administration standpoint.  In addition, public computers might not need to be changed as often, as this would reduce a computer crashing, delay slow startups, and reduce delayed searches. 

3) Edward A. Galloway, “Imaging Pittsburgh: Creating a shared gateway to digital image collections of the Pittsburgh region” First Monday 9:5 2004;
http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1141/1061;     

    From looking at the pictures and reading the article, it seems as though digital imaging is one of the prime methods of historic preservation.  Unfortunately, physical copies of material found in libraries could disentegrate over time.  In order to preserve the past, and more importantly, our local history, digital image collections can provide a gateway for the present to entertwine with the past, and act as a medium for a more instant and hands on look at historical artifacts. 


  4) Paula L. Webb, YouTube and libraries: It could be a beautiful relationship C&RL News, June 2007 Vol. 68, No. 6 0  http://0-www.ala.org.wam.seals.ac.za/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/publications/crlnews/2007/jun/ALA_print_layout_1_391194_391194.cfm;

        Yes, I definetly think youtube and libraries could be a beautiful relationship!  As an aspiring business librarian, I want to create a business forum; not just within my community, but globally if possible.  Placing various topics of discussion with the actual dialogue could be vital in having a business book discussion group reach other entrepeneurs and coporate executives from around the world.  From working in a library, I have found that many librarians frown down on this, as they see this as kids/teens utilize this for entertainment value.  Librarians must realize that this can be a tool to enhance programming on a much larger scale. 

Adam Brody

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you on YouTube. I think librarians need to keep open minds about technology and to realize that entertainment value is not a bad thing. It's all about how to capture the interest of potential patrons. Librarians should be using all the tools they can get their hands on. There's no reason why YouTube can't be used in a professional capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Imaging Pittsburgh project is a nice example of preserving the past, and providing easy access to this valuable information for many generations to come. Learning about the costs, in terms of time as well as money, of this project has shown me the reality of digitization. To digitize "well" takes a lot of thought, preparation, organization, and dedication. Seeing the graphs of digitization costs from the first week's readings, provided the first insight for me into the costly process. Reading about this specific Imaging project, really verified the high costs involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your comments on data compression, I now understand how it could be used in a library aspect. Thanks for that, it was bothering me.

    The Imaging Pittsburgh project seems like a great idea, but I agree with Michele, it has to be costly. I wonder where they are getting the financial support for this. I agree with you the physical copies can be lost or disintegrate. I wonder if there was a way to prevent this....? Also, you would have to keep a way to show these images. For instance, information on floppy discs are no longer readable unless you have a floppy drive.

    YouTube should definitely be used in a professional capacity. I know more people from our generation will appreciate this. In a way it does seem kind of kid/teen-ish but there is a way to make it not seem this. What that is I do not know but someone will create it. With everyone having internet phones, this will also enable people to watch these videos everywhere and at any time. This would be great for the always moving business person. I hope your project gets off the ground and gains support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my ideal/fantasy world, digital imaging projects like Imaging Pittsburgh would get tons of funding because it really is preserving history for future generations. Film conservation is a passion of mine, and it is frustrating to hear of nitrate films deteriorating (or exploding) before they can be transferred to digital copies. I think it is easy for people to think that photos and film will last forever, but they don't and I can only hope that money can be allotted in the future to projects like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the Imaging Pittsburgh project is an especially important digitization project because it uses images from so many sources (Carnegie Art Museum, Archive Center, History Center, Point Park University, etc.). It is very unusual to see so much cooperation between such different institutions in a project of this scale. I am glad that the project was successful, and only wish that I could have been a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't agree more with you on youtube! Personally, I get frustrated when it's dismissed as something only kids use. Even if that were true, "kids" are a growing (and aging) demographic of library patrons.

    Also, cool things can be done with video! Did you see the Google Wave tutorials with the embedded video where the guy was pointing to different areas onscreen from the video's location? Informative and novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courtney, I think its really interesting that many people associate Youtube with children. I find that when I go on Youtube they are usually advertising something for an adult audience. For example, comedies or dramatic films which are rated R, or sports (for adults and youth). Obama and other politician's have speech's uploaded to Youtube. So, I feel as though many different age groups watch and upload on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete