Tuesday, September 14, 2010

WEEK 3 READING NOTES

1) Machtelt Garrels. “Introduction to Linux: A Hands on Guide”
    (only need to read section 1, but you are welcome to read the whole document)
    http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/

           Based on the reading, the Linux program seems to be one of the most flexible pieces of software to date.  It is adaptable, fixable, and can be adapted toward various circumstances.  As a student, I think Linux will be very helpful.  Based on its ability to supply maintence and updates, it could very well span beyond the academic realms and into the mainstream/public settings.  As librarians, it will be essential to utilize this technology so that customers use this to its full potential. 

2) http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/ 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X


         Based on these readings, I was amazed at the level of the features that the "MAC OS X" has.  For example, "Apple GUI" seems to produce interesting graphic like images with water based elements.  Also, "The User Interface Guidelines" might be helpful for first time users, or novices like myself, who are just learning about this.  Perosnally, I think the "Automator" could be helpful so that I can better organize tasks with deadlines. 

3) Paul Thurott “An Update on the Windows Roadmap”     http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2008/06/27/an-update-on-the-windows-roadmap.aspx

     I felt releived to know that I will continue to receive updates for my Windows XP until at least, 2014.  Toward the end of the article, the author states that a new version of windows titled "Windows 7" is coming out.  Whenever an update to Windows takes place, that also means an update to the office programs is in sight.  Does this mean that I will not be able to read documents that were designed using "Windows 7" when I open an attachment?  I think the challenge that Microsoft has is to create a system where even if one has an older Windoows operating system, they can still read documents from updated office systems. 

Adam Brody

4 comments:

  1. I thought Linux could be good for students and librarians for another reason: IT'S FREE! :) That combined with its flexibility makes me wonder why more people don't use it. Perhaps because we're creatures of habit, and Windows is so familiar to most of us? That's why I was hesitant to switch to Macs until I had to for work -- but now I like them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I'm also a little puzzled as to why with all these really great features the Linux system is not as popular. But, I guess there is a large population, like myself, that are technically unsavvy. And having Linux may not be as user friendly as we would like. However, the first article pointed out that Linux is trying hard to make itself more user friendly and similar to Windows.
    I also agree with your statement we are creatures of habit. But,more specifically that now everything is only compatible with Windows or Mac systems. I don't usually see compatibility with Linux as a list of possible requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Microsoft did upgrade Office for Windows this year (Mac will likely get an update in 2011). The file extensions used in Office 2010 applications are the same as used in the 2007 suite. There were some compatibility issues when they switched from .doc to .docx in the 2007 version, but I think most of those wrinkles have been ironed out. As long you're not still running Office 2003 there should be nothing to worry about (and if you are it's still doable, just takes a little effort).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen and priya, I think another reason LINUX is not as popular as an OS is because it is free. Some people may be concerned that because the OS is free that it may be of lesser quality.

    ReplyDelete